Australia Temporary Graduate Work Visa (Subclass 485) via Registered Migration Agents

Australia Temporary Graduate Work Visa (Subclass 485) via Registered Migration Agents

  • The temporary graduate visa (subclass 485) lets you live, study and work in australia temporarily after you have finished your studies. students are only able to access the temporary graduate visa (subclass 485) once as a primary applicant.
  • Your application will be processed by RMA (authorized agent for DIBP). your application will be represented by RMA to DIBP. RMA will be able to communicate with the australia immigration department regarding your application with your consent.


The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) lets you live, study and work in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies. Students are only able to access the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) once as a primary applicant.

This visa has two streams:

Graduate Work stream: – For international students with an eligible qualification who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months from the date of grant.

Post-Study Work stream:– For international students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study. This stream is only available to students who applied for, and were granted, their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years from the date the visa is granted, depending on the visa applicant's qualification.

If you are applying as the main applicant, you and anybody else covered by the application must be in Australia when you apply for this visa and when your visa is decided. Family members who apply for this visa after the main applicant has been granted the visa may be in or outside Australia when they apply, but must not be in immigration clearance.


This visa allows you and your family to stay in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies. While in Australia, you can:

  • Travel
  • Work
  • Study.

It is important to note that it is your responsibility to seek your own employment. The Australian government is not responsible for arranging employment.


  • you must be younger than 50 years of age.
  • you must hold an eligible visa.
  • you must have included in your application evidence that you have at least competent English.
  • you must meet the Australian study requirement in the last six months.
  • you must meet health and character requirements.
  • you must have health insurance in Australia.
  • you must meet the specific requirements of the stream in which you are applying for this visa.

Eligible visas:
You must hold an eligible visa to apply for this visa as the primary applicant. You could meet this requirement if any of the following applies to you:

  • You hold an eligible student visa (a subclass 572, 573 or 574, provided you are not
  • A family member of the main visa holder of one of these visa classes
  • The primary applicant who undertook a course funded by a government or multilateral agency, or course/training under a scholarship scheme or training program approved by the AusAID Minister or the Defence Minister on condition that you will leave Australia on the completion of the course.
  • You have held an eligible student visa at any time in the past six months and:
  • you now hold a Bridging visa A or Bridging visa B after applying for any visa other than an ineligible student visa, or
  • you now hold a substantive visa other than an ineligible student visa.
  • You held an eligible student visa that was cancelled, but in the past 28 days the Migration Review Tribunal has notified you of a decision to set aside and substitute the Minister's decision.

The following are ineligible student visas:

  • student visas in subclasses 570, 571, 575 or 576
  • visas in subclasses 572, 573 or 574, which you applied for on the basis that you were intending to undertake:
  • A course funded by the Australian government, an Australian state or territory government, a foreign government or a multilateral agency
  • A course or training under a scholarship scheme or training program approved by the AusAID Minister or the Defence Minister.

In addition, you must not:

  • Have had a visa application refused or cancelled since last entering Australia unless you hold a substantive visa.
  • Have any condition on your current visa that prevents you from applying to stay in Australia, such as 'No further stay' conditions (numbers 8503, 8534 or 8535). If you have condition 8503 or 8534 attached to your current visa, you should apply for the Temporary Graduate visa using paper Form 1409 (635kB PDF), which includes an application to have the condition waived.

English language ability:

Your visa application must include evidence that you have competent English. You can show this if you have either of the following:

  • you hold a valid passport from the United Kingdom, United States, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland (and you are a citizen of that country), or
  • you achieved a score of at least 6 for each of the four test components of speaking, reading, listening and writing in an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test or 'B' in each of the four components of an Occupational English Test (OET). You must have sat the IELTS/OET test in the three years before you apply, and the results should be lodged with your application.

  • The Australian study requirement:
    In the six months before you apply, you must meet the Australian study requirement. You meet this requirement if you can satisfy us that you have completed one or more degrees, diplomas or trade qualifications for award by an Australian educational institution as a result of a course(s):

    • That is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
    • For which all instruction was conducted in English
    • That were completed as a result of total of at least two academic years (92 weeks) study
    • That were completed in a total of at least 16 calendar months
    • That have been undertaken while you were in Australia as the holder of a visa authorizing you to study.

    English language proficiency courses or enabling programs cannot be used to meet the Australian study requirement.

    Health requirements:
    You must meet certain health requirements. The health examinations you need will depend on your personal circumstances, including your country of citizenship, time spent in another country during the last five years and your intended activities in Australia. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months. This applies to you and any dependent family members included in your application. You can find out whether you need to undergo health examinations, and arrange them where required, by using our My Health Declarations service.

    Character requirements:​

    Australian Federal Police (AFP) certificate and overseas police clearance​:

    You must meet certain character requirements. You must provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age. Instructions on obtaining a certificate from an overseas government or law enforcement authority are available in the following document: Character requirements – How to obtain police certificates (513 Kb PDF). When you apply for this visa you must provide evidence of having applied for an Australian Federal Police check in the 12 months before you apply. This also applies to all dependent family members in the application who are 16 years of age or older. The AFP National Police Check Application Form is available from the Australian Federal Police website – either an online form or paper form. Visa applicants should tick Code 33 in Section 8 of the form. Fingerprints are not required. You will be issued with a 'National Police Check' certificate which will have a 'Complete Disclosure' in the heading if your AFP police check is successful.

    Debts to the Australian Government:

    You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted. This also applies to all family members listed in your application.