Australia Resident Return Visa (Subclasses 155 & 157) Via Registered Migration Agents

Australia Resident Return Visa (Subclasses 155 & 157) Via Registered Migration Agents

Former citizen or permanent resident of Australia?
Return to Australia on a PR visa
Live indefinitely enjoy all benefits like before


The Australia Resident Return Visa (Subclass 155-157) is for former Australian citizens, and for current and former permanent residents. People wanting to return to Australia and live permanently there can apply for Subclass 155-157 on meeting the requirements.

Successful applicants can freely travel to and from Australia for a period of 5 years from the date the visa is issued. Having said that, on expiry of the travel facility, application for a new PR visa has to be made, and the visa be granted, to allow a person to leave Australia, return and live indefinitely.

Keywest can guide you in processing Australia Resident Return Visa (Subclass 155-157). Call us to know more. We process your application through Registered Migration Agents (RMAs) who are authorized by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). An RMA will represent your application to the concerned Australian Immigration Department and also communicate with them on your behalf with your consent.

Program Details

  • Migrate to Australia on a PR Visa with your family.
  • Enjoy all benefits that of a permanent resident including access to medicare, study, and work.
  • Travel numerous times to and from Australia from the visa grant date to the expiry date.
  • Apply for a new PR visa on expiry of the existing one and upon being granted the same, a person can leave, and come back to stay Australia again.


You cannot apply for this visa if:

A Child is:

  • You were issued one of the following documents which still remains valid today:
  • An Authority To Return (ATR) between 1 March 1976 and 30 October 1979, or
  • A Return Endorsement (RE) between 1 November 1979 and 31 December 1986.

These documents should still be valid today if:

  • They have not been cancelled.
  • They have not been ceased by the grant of another visa since 1 September 1994.
  • You have returned to Australia within three years of each departure.
  • You have not become an Australian Citizen.
  • You have been sent a notice regarding the possible cancellation of your most recent permanent visa under section 134 of the Act and no cancellation decision has yet been taken.
  • Your most recent permanent visa was cancelled under section 134 of the Act and the cancellation decision has not been set aside by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.

You might be able to be granted this visa if you are:

  • An Australian permanent resident.
  • A former Australian permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled.
  • A former Australian citizen who lost or renounced your citizenship.

A ‘former Australian permanent resident’ includes anyone who was recognized as a permanent resident of Australia under the migration arrangements that applied at the time they were in Australia.

Requirements for substantial ties of benefit to Australia:
Business ties: If you are claiming business ties with Australia, you will need to provide proof of the ties and how they are of benefit to Australia. You will need to show that you have substantial ownership interests in the business and are personally involved at a senior level in the day-to-day operations and management of the business. The business activity needs to be ongoing, regular activity that is commercial in nature, has an intention to make a profit and has a system of record keeping and management that substantiates the business activity claimed.

Cultural ties: There are a range of intellectual, artistic, sporting or religious pursuits which are not strictly of a business or employment nature but may be considered to be a cultural tie to Australia. In many cases it is likely that the reasons claimed as cultural ties would be consistent with the basis for the grant of your original permanent visa. If you are claiming cultural ties, you will need to provide proof your role is adding to Australia’s cultural life. This can include publications you have written, your membership of cultural associations, any media articles about you or proof of your performances.

Employment ties: To prove you have employment ties to Australia, you must show that you are currently employed, or have a formal offer of employment in Australia, or are employed overseas by an Australian organisation, or are able to show that your employment by a non-Australian organisation has a demonstrable benefit to Australia, for example, working as a representative of Australia for an international organisation.

Personal ties: Substantial personal ties may be of benefit to Australia if you are, or have been, a participating member of the Australian community and economy. Living in Australia for a substantial period of time or living overseas with an Australian citizen partner is taken into account. Proof of personal assets or family who live in Australia could also help to demonstrate personal ties if you are able to show they are both substantial and of benefit to Australia.

Subclass 157 Resident Return visa:
You might be able to be granted this visa if you:

  • Have lawfully spent at least one day in the past five years in Australia.
  • Have spent less than two years in the past five years in Australia.
  • Have been a permanent resident or an Australian citizen for the entire period spent in Australia.
  • Can show a compelling and compassionate reason for having to leave Australia or, if you are outside Australia, for leaving when you did.

If you have been living outside Australia for more than three continuous months immediately before applying, you must also show that you were absent for a compelling and compassionate reason.
Travel facility:
If you have lived in Australia for at least two years of the past five years and are granted a Subclass 155 Resident Return visa it will have a five year travel facility from date of grant. If you are granted a Subclass 155 Resident Return visa on the basis of your substantial ties of benefit to Australia, then your travel facility will be for a year from the date of the grant. If you are granted a Subclass 155 Resident Return visa because you are a family member of a person who holds a Subclass 155, or who has also applied for Resident Return Visa and satisfies criteria for grant, then your travel facility will be for either a year or less than a year from date of grant. If you are granted a Subclass 157 visa the travel facility will be for 3 months from date of grant.